Introduction

What is The New Yorker? I know it’s a great magazine and that it’s a tremendous source of pleasure in my life. But what exactly is it? This blog’s premise is that The New Yorker is a work of art, as worthy of comment and analysis as, say, Keats’s “Ode on a Grecian Urn.” Each week I review one or more aspects of the magazine’s latest issue. I suppose it’s possible to describe and analyze an entire issue, but I prefer to keep my reviews brief, and so I usually focus on just one or two pieces, to explore in each the signature style of its author. A piece by Nick Paumgarten is not like a piece by Jill Lepore, and neither is like a piece by Ian Frazier. One could not mistake Collins for Seabrook, or Bilger for Goldfield, or Mogelson for Kolbert. Each has found a style, and it is that style that I respond to as I read, and want to understand and describe.

Thursday, December 3, 2020

3 for the Road: Intro








My three favorite travel books are John McPhee’s Coming into the Country (1976), Ian Frazier’s Great Plains (1989), and Edward Hoagland’s Notes from the Century Before (1969). But I feel I don’t I know them well enough, especially at the formal level. Over the next year, I propose to reread them – immerse myself in them, if that’s possible. And I’ll blog about it as I go. So a new series then – “3 for the Road,” starting January 1, 2021. 

2 comments:


  1. Great! Looking forward to it. Which book will start? I will try to accompany you in reading. (P.S. I loved the series with the best of the decade.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your positive feedback. I appreciate your interest. I think I’ll start with "Notes from the Century Before." I might intermix my readings – a bit of Hoagland, then a pinch of McPhee, followed by a dash of Frazier, and so on, until I finish all three books. It’s an odd way to do it, but the idea is to keep all three books fresh and interactive in my mind as I go.

      Delete