The response of many Canadians, including myself, is to boycott American products. I don’t buy anything that is American-made. Yet, here I am still blithely blogging about The New Yorker, an American publication. Yes, The New Yorker is fiercely anti-Trump. If it wasn’t, I’d have boycotted it a long time ago. But now, in light of Trump’s latest aggression towards Canada, I find it unconscionable to be blogging about anything American.
Americans, your country has turned disgustingly putrid. Recently, Ian Frazier described it as a “hell pit.” He’s right. Until you rise up and take back your country from this tyrant who is ruling you and gaming you like a New York mobster, I don’t want to have anything more to do with you.
The new tariffs that Trump ordered yesterday go into effect in 30 days. If they do, I’m discontinuing this blog. To hell with The New Yorker! To hell with everything American! You are such an ugly country!

John, I completely understand your anger. As a Brazilian, I also know what it feels like to be on the receiving end of punitive trade measures. Brazil, too, has recently been hit by steep U.S. tariffs. It is deeply frustrating to watch trade become a tool of coercion instead of cooperation. I sincerely hope things improve – for Canada, for Brazil, and for the United States as well.
ReplyDelete