Introduction

What is The New Yorker? I know it’s a great magazine and that it’s a tremendous source of pleasure in my life. But what exactly is it? This blog’s premise is that The New Yorker is a work of art, as worthy of comment and analysis as, say, Keats’s “Ode on a Grecian Urn.” Each week I review one or more aspects of the magazine’s latest issue. I suppose it’s possible to describe and analyze an entire issue, but I prefer to keep my reviews brief, and so I usually focus on just one or two pieces, to explore in each the signature style of its author. A piece by Nick Paumgarten is not like a piece by Jill Lepore, and neither is like a piece by Ian Frazier. One could not mistake Collins for Seabrook, or Bilger for Goldfield, or Mogelson for Kolbert. Each has found a style, and it is that style that I respond to as I read, and want to understand and describe.

Thursday, November 7, 2019

November 4, 2019 Issue


Is Arthur Krystal’s opposition to death softening? In his great “Death, It’s What Ails You” (Harper’s Magazine, February, 2001; included in his 2002 essay collection Agitations), he writes, “I am appalled at the prospect of my own extinction, outraged at the impending loss of someone I know so well.” Now, in his absorbing “Old News,” in this week’s issue, he appears to have second thoughts. He says,

Yes, we should live as long as possible, barring illness and infirmity, but, when it comes to the depredations of age, let’s not lose candor along with muscle tone. The goal, you could say, is to live long enough to think: I’ve lived long enough.

Krystal no longer rages against the dying of the light. He accepts the idea that “life is slow dying.” He says, “Why rail against the inevitable—what good will it do? None at all.”

It’s quite a turnaround  the scrapper who has “a bone to pick with death – two hundred and six, to be precise, all of which will soon enough be picked clean by time and the elements" becomes a pacifist (“We should all make peace with aging”). 

I agree with what Krystal says in “Old News.” But I miss the spark of his earlier piece.  

No comments:

Post a Comment