Introduction

What is The New Yorker? I know it’s a great magazine and that it’s a tremendous source of pleasure in my life. But what exactly is it? This blog’s premise is that The New Yorker is a work of art, as worthy of comment and analysis as, say, Keats’s “Ode on a Grecian Urn.” Each week I review one or more aspects of the magazine’s latest issue. I suppose it’s possible to describe and analyze an entire issue, but I prefer to keep my reviews brief, and so I usually focus on just one or two pieces, to explore in each the signature style of its author. A piece by Nick Paumgarten is not like a piece by Jill Lepore, and neither is like a piece by Ian Frazier. One could not mistake Collins for Seabrook, or Bilger for Goldfield, or Mogelson for Kolbert. Each has found a style, and it is that style that I respond to as I read, and want to understand and describe.

Friday, October 11, 2024

Acts of Seeing: View from Dublin Coastal Trail

Photo by John MacDougall










Tourism Ireland might be puzzled by this choice. Why a picture of a desolate stretch of railway track when there are scenes so much more “picturesque” to pick from? Ireland is a photographer’s dream. On our recent bike trip, we took hundreds of photos. But this shot appeals to me for some odd reason. It’s a view from the Dublin Coastal Trail. I love the gleaming rails, the touches of pink in the green vegetation, the vine climbing the mesh attached to the steel post supporting the electrical wires, the green fencing, the deep indigo of the graffiti on the old stone wall. And beyond – Irish sea, sky, clouds, island. I love it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment