Introduction

What is The New Yorker? I know it’s a great magazine and that it’s a tremendous source of pleasure in my life. But what exactly is it? This blog’s premise is that The New Yorker is a work of art, as worthy of comment and analysis as, say, Keats’s “Ode on a Grecian Urn.” Each week I review one or more aspects of the magazine’s latest issue. I suppose it’s possible to describe and analyze an entire issue, but I prefer to keep my reviews brief, and so I usually focus on just one or two pieces, to explore in each the signature style of its author. A piece by Nick Paumgarten is not like a piece by Jill Lepore, and neither is like a piece by Ian Frazier. One could not mistake Collins for Seabrook, or Bilger for Goldfield, or Mogelson for Kolbert. Each has found a style, and it is that style that I respond to as I read, and want to understand and describe.

Thursday, July 9, 2020

Memory Piece: Crème de Cassis




















Last night, reading Roy Andries de Groot’s wonderful The Auberge of the Flowering Hearth (1973), I encountered this sentence: “One can get dozens of other effects with other white wines, mixed with the usual tablespoon per glass (more or less, to taste) of a first quality Crème de Cassis distilled from the black currants of Dijon.”

De Groot’s mention of crème de cassis immediately triggered a personal memory. I found myself transported back to a moment thirty-nine years ago. David, Marion, and I were at the Chateau Laurier’s Canadian Grill. It was my first visit to Ottawa. I was there to argue the appeal of David Benjamin Ford in the Supreme Court of Canada: see Ford v. The Queen [1982] 1 SCR 231.

Marion asked the waiter if we could have champagne with cassis. He said yes. I had no idea what cassis was. Marion explained that it was a black currant liqueur. A few minutes later the waiter returned to our table with three elegant, shimmering, maroon-colored drinks, each garnished with a blackberry. David proposed a toast: To David Benjamin Ford! We clinked glasses and sipped our cocktails, agreeing this was the perfect way to celebrate our arrival in the Capital.

No comments:

Post a Comment