Introduction

What is The New Yorker? I know it’s a great magazine and that it’s a tremendous source of pleasure in my life. But what exactly is it? This blog’s premise is that The New Yorker is a work of art, as worthy of comment and analysis as, say, Keats’s “Ode on a Grecian Urn.” Each week I review one or more aspects of the magazine’s latest issue. I suppose it’s possible to describe and analyze an entire issue, but I prefer to keep my reviews brief, and so I usually focus on just one or two pieces, to explore in each the signature style of its author. A piece by Nick Paumgarten is not like a piece by Jill Lepore, and neither is like a piece by Ian Frazier. One could not mistake Collins for Seabrook, or Bilger for Goldfield, or Mogelson for Kolbert. Each has found a style, and it is that style that I respond to as I read, and want to understand and describe.

Saturday, July 27, 2019

Nick Thorpe's "The Danube"


I relish writing composed in the present tense and written from the first-person perspective. It’s a rare combination. The only New Yorker pieces written this way that I can think of are Whitney Balliett’s “Ecstasy at the Onion” (October 10, 1969), John McPhee’s “The Search for Marvin Gardens” (September 9, 1972), Anthony Bailey’s “Outer Banks” (May 25, 1987), and Cynthia Zarin’s “An Enlarged Heart” (August 18 & 25, 2003). The first part of McPhee’s great “The Encircled River” (May 2 & 9, 1977) is composed in the first-person-present-tense. Books written in this style include Geoff Dyer’s The Missing of the Somme (1994), Eva Hoffman's Exit into History (1993), Gideon Lewis-Krauss's A Sense of Direction (2012), Morten Strøksnes’s Shark Drunk (2017), and the one I’m currently reading – Nick Thorpe’s The Danube (2013). 

Thorpe’s book brims with sentences like these:

Here on the fraying fringes of Europe, between the Greek and Roman ruins of Histria and the rising waters of the Black Sea, I begin my journey up the River Danube.

As I drive towards the delta from the west I see my first wind turbines, spaced out across the hills like dandelions, or the advance guard of a Roman army.

On a Sunday morning in Tulcea, I go in search of the imam at the mosque a little way up the hill towards the museum.

I leave Galați at lunchtime, closely following the Danube on the road to Brăila, my head humming with the red wine from the Greek reception.

I drive through sparse deserted villages which feel as though they have been unpopulated since the Romans withdrew, and reach the Danube in time to watch a blood-red sun sink through vineyards among the forested islands of the river.

On a wide meadow, a headland overlooking a sweeping bend in the Danube, just before the Romanian-Bulgarian border at Silistra, I catch sight of a man striding purposefully beside a line of blue and yellow beehives, evenly spaced like floats on a net across the river.

I arrive late in the evening in Ruse, and the first three hotels are full.

I see the camels of the Koloseum Circus first, then the big tent as I speed past on the main road.

I go there, I do this. What could be simpler? Yet such lines have the breath of life: personal experience recorded with the immediacy of an inspired snapshot. I devour them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment