Introduction

What is The New Yorker? I know it’s a great magazine and that it’s a tremendous source of pleasure in my life. But what exactly is it? This blog’s premise is that The New Yorker is a work of art, as worthy of comment and analysis as, say, Keats’s “Ode on a Grecian Urn.” Each week I review one or more aspects of the magazine’s latest issue. I suppose it’s possible to describe and analyze an entire issue, but I prefer to keep my reviews brief, and so I usually focus on just one or two pieces, to explore in each the signature style of its author. A piece by Nick Paumgarten is not like a piece by Jill Lepore, and neither is like a piece by Ian Frazier. One could not mistake Collins for Seabrook, or Bilger for Goldfield, or Mogelson for Kolbert. Each has found a style, and it is that style that I respond to as I read, and want to understand and describe.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

May 24, 2010 Issue


Alec Wilkinson's "Immigration Blues," in this week's issue, takes us on the road with the norteno band Los Tigres del Norte. I enjoyed the ride immensely. I particularly enjoyed Wilkinson's writing. The piece contains a number of inspired sentences. For example: "Behind them were rows of cowboy hats, like a skyline." Here's another example: "Raul and Eduardo sang a mournful song, in which their voices were so tightly fitted to each other that they seemed braided, and when they finished someone said, 'That's a good one.'" And one more: "On boleros, the entire band seems to move here and there in a trancelike way, as if on currents." Los Tigres sings corridos, which, as Wilkinson points out "are almost always factual, or at least claim to be." He goes on to say, "Their audience no more cares to hear about imaginary characters and imaginary happenings than the readers of the Wall Street Journal would care to read about made-up businessmen and made-up business deals." I smiled when I read this because I, too, feel the same way, and I strongly suspect that Wilkinson does, as well. It's probably one of the things about Los Tigres that drew him to them as a subject for a story. That and the fact that Los Tigres sings "mainly about things that happen to poor people in Mexico, or to Mexicans in America." As Wilkinson has shown in previous writings (e.g., Big Sugar), he deeply relates to migrant workers. I like the way that Wilkinson, in "Immigration Blues," includes quotes from people in the huge crowds that attend Los Tigres' "dances." At the end of his piece, when he describes a random search of Los Tigres's bus, led by a power-tripping white cop, I could feel his fierce indignation on behalf of the band members. "Immigration Blues" is bluesy, lyric, and real. In fact, it has many of the attributes of a great corrido.

No comments:

Post a Comment