Introduction

What is The New Yorker? I know it’s a great magazine and that it’s a tremendous source of pleasure in my life. But what exactly is it? This blog’s premise is that The New Yorker is a work of art, as worthy of comment and analysis as, say, Keats’s “Ode on a Grecian Urn.” Each week I review one or more aspects of the magazine’s latest issue. I suppose it’s possible to describe and analyze an entire issue, but I prefer to keep my reviews brief, and so I usually focus on just one or two pieces, to explore in each the signature style of its author. A piece by Nick Paumgarten is not like a piece by Jill Lepore, and neither is like a piece by Ian Frazier. One could not mistake Collins for Seabrook, or Bilger for Goldfield, or Mogelson for Kolbert. Each has found a style, and it is that style that I respond to as I read, and want to understand and describe.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Travels In Siberia - Part II


The best part of Part II begins, “One morning during that January I went on an expedition to Peterhof, the grand palace built by Peter the Great twenty-five miles west of the city on the Gulf of Finland.” On this expedition, Frazier gets on the wrong train and ends up in a village called Little Verevo. I like his description of the village: “eight or ten houses, with no lights showing, and snow draping roofs and fences as if it had been laid on in multiple coats every day since fall." In Little Verevo, he encounters two women (“Both had weathered, wrinkled-shoe faces, multiple worts, and lively pale-blue eyes”) who tell him the right train to take to Peterof. When Frazier finally gets to Peterof, he visits the Cottage Palace. His description of the Morskoi Cabinet on the top floor is very fine, particularly his mention of “a long brass telescope and a speaking trumpet” that he sees on a table. At one point, Frazier uses “crowbar” as a verb. He says, “To me St. Petersburg seems more like a hole in the corner of a sealed-tight packing crate that Peter crowbarred open violently from inside. Once the breach was made, the light flowed in, and it continues to flow.” I recall Frazier saying something similar in his New Yorker article “Invented City” (July 28, 2003): “Oceanic light continues to pour through this opening he crowbarred into the corner of Russia just as he intended.” I think Frazier’s use of “crowbarred” is inspired. Part II contains one other highlight – a flight to Little Diomede in the Bering Strait, which occasions this memorable description of sea ice: “In places where linen-white ice expanses met, the lines of crunched-up ice pieces were the exact same blue as Comet Cleanser.” In Little Diomede, Frazier does exactly what I would’ve done: he walks around looking at stuff, e.g., “a frozen seal on the floor of the vestibule of the tribal health building,” “a polar bear skin hanging on a wooden frame,” and most interestingly, “a walrus-skin boat on a rack near a launching ramp at the bottom of town,” which Frazier says, was a "museum-quality object.” These details alone made Part II worth reading. I ate them up. I also liked Frazier’s drawing of a jumble of sheds that illustrates the beginning of Part II. I’m looking forward to Part III, in which Frazier finally launches his nine-thousand-mile road trip across Siberia.

No comments:

Post a Comment