Introduction

What is The New Yorker? I know it’s a great magazine and that it’s a tremendous source of pleasure in my life. But what exactly is it? This blog’s premise is that The New Yorker is a work of art, as worthy of comment and analysis as, say, Keats’s “Ode on a Grecian Urn.” Each week I review one or more aspects of the magazine’s latest issue. I suppose it’s possible to describe and analyze an entire issue, but I prefer to keep my reviews brief, and so I usually focus on just one or two pieces, to explore in each the signature style of its author. A piece by Nick Paumgarten is not like a piece by Jill Lepore, and neither is like a piece by Ian Frazier. One could not mistake Collins for Seabrook, or Bilger for Goldfield, or Mogelson for Kolbert. Each has found a style, and it is that style that I respond to as I read, and want to understand and describe.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Interesting Emendations: Whitney Balliett's "A Walk to the Park"


“I went down to the Chelsea Hotel one afternoon a while ago to visit Elvin Jones, the unique and brilliant drummer, whose ferocity and originality and subtlety on his instrument have in the past six or so years changed the entire nature of jazz drumming and, to a degree, the nature of jazz itself.” So begins Whitney Balliett’s superb piece about Jones, which appeared in the May 18, 1968 issue of The New Yorker. A visit – not a journey, not an expedition – just a little visit with a jazz drummer in his hotel room. And I’m more than happy to tag along; this is my kind of outing. I meet the drummer, get a taste of how he lives, hear him talk a bit about his life and music, and, in the process, watch Balliett, a master writer, convert the afternoon’s experience into literature. For that's exactly what “A Walk to the Park” is – one of the greatest profiles ever to appear in The New Yorker, in my humble opinion. And what makes it great is its brilliant, nonchalant, easy-going, no-big-deal, catchy start: “I went down to the Chelsea Hotel one afternoon a while ago to visit Elvin Jones …” Balliett would later delete the “a while ago,” thereby making the thing even more perfect: see the version of “A Walk to the Park” in his classic 1971 collection Ecstasy at the Onion. The Master should’ve quit while he was ahead, though. He improvised one too many variations when, unbelievably, in his 1986 American Musicians: 56 Portraits in Jazz, he changed the beginning of “A Walk to the Park” to “Elvin Jones’ ferocity and originality and subtlety on his instrument changed the nature of jazz drumming. For a time in the late sixties, he lived in a first-floor room at the Chelsea Hotel.” This may be presumptuous, but I think I know what Balliett was up to when he made this startling and misguided change in his classic essay. He was directing the spotlight away from himself and on to Jones and his “bachelor’s nest” of an apartment. This is admirable, but wrong-headed. It’s the unabashed subjectivity of “I went down to the Chelsea Hotel one afternoon to visit Elvin Jones …” that makes the piece the rapturous reading experience that it is. Read the version in Ecstasy at the Onion; it’s perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment