Introduction

What is The New Yorker? I know it’s a great magazine and that it’s a tremendous source of pleasure in my life. But what exactly is it? This blog’s premise is that The New Yorker is a work of art, as worthy of comment and analysis as, say, Keats’s “Ode on a Grecian Urn.” Each week I review one or more aspects of the magazine’s latest issue. I suppose it’s possible to describe and analyze an entire issue, but I prefer to keep my reviews brief, and so I usually focus on just one or two pieces, to explore in each the signature style of its author. A piece by Nick Paumgarten is not like a piece by Jill Lepore, and neither is like a piece by Ian Frazier. One could not mistake Collins for Seabrook, or Bilger for Goldfield, or Mogelson for Kolbert. Each has found a style, and it is that style that I respond to as I read, and want to understand and describe.

Thursday, August 17, 2023

August 14, 2023 Issue

Anthony Lane, in his review of Ira Sachs’s new movie Passages, in this week’s issue, says, “It’s the unhappiest film I’ve watched in a long while, steeped in Freudian pessimism—that is to say, you can meet the demands of the libido, in full, but don’t expect your world not to fall apart. Once satisfaction is guaranteed, so is chaos” [“Most Wanted”]. In contrast, Richard Brody finds Passages “exhilarating.” Instead of pessimism, he finds “positivity”: 

The positivity of “Passages” is inseparable from its sex positivity. There are sex scenes of a rare dramatic power, whether in the animal athleticism that marks the erotic bond of Martin and Tomas (Sachs films their scenes in long, tense, extended takes), in the howling delight that Tomas finds in his relationship with Agathe, or in his tender and wonderstruck gaze at her face as he caresses her to orgasm. [“ ‘Passages’ and an Art Monster’s Fierce Purity,” newyorker.com, August 8, 2023]

Lane disagrees. He says of the movie’s sex scenes, 

Here and there, “Passages” has been described as “sexy,” but that’s the last thing it is. To be sure, there are writhings on view, gay and straight, but the sex has the animus of violence: a desperate grapple, with one person’s legs wrapped around another’s back. Agathe keeps her heavy boots on, and almost bangs her head on the edge of a desk. Nothing here is solved or softened by the making of love. Rather, the effect of all the lusting is to hammer people further into unwisdom and despair. 

So which is it – positive (Brody) or negative (Lane)? Sexy (Brody) or unsexy (Lane)? Exhilarating (Brody) or despairing (Lane)?  My interest is piqued. I guess I’ll have to watch the film and make up my own mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment