Introduction

What is The New Yorker? I know it’s a great magazine and that it’s a tremendous source of pleasure in my life. But what exactly is it? This blog’s premise is that The New Yorker is a work of art, as worthy of comment and analysis as, say, Keats’s “Ode on a Grecian Urn.” Each week I review one or more aspects of the magazine’s latest issue. I suppose it’s possible to describe and analyze an entire issue, but I prefer to keep my reviews brief, and so I usually focus on just one or two pieces, to explore in each the signature style of its author. A piece by Nick Paumgarten is not like a piece by Jill Lepore, and neither is like a piece by Ian Frazier. One could not mistake Collins for Seabrook, or Bilger for Goldfield, or Mogelson for Kolbert. Each has found a style, and it is that style that I respond to as I read, and want to understand and describe.

Friday, March 24, 2023

March 20, 2023 Issue

Pick of the Issue this week is Jill Lepore’s “Pay Dirt,” a wonderful review of seed catalogues. It begins and ends with beets. Here’s the ending:

Or you could just grow some beets and eat them. You can plant them soon, so soon. Three weeks before the last frost: it’ll be here before you know it. Poke a hole in the ground half an inch deep. You can use your pinkie to measure, fingertip to first knuckle. The seeds of the common beet are about the size of peppercorns. Plop them in one by one, two inches apart. Rows are good. After a couple of weeks, when the tops pop up, yank out the seedlings that have come up too close together; I try to chuck them over the fence by smashing them with a trowel, as if they were little green-and-red badminton birdies. It passes the time. Wait another month, then dig up the roots and wash them off in the kitchen sink. They’ll be red-fleshed and globe-shaped and fist-size and grubby and hairy, and I usually roast them. You can even eat the leaves: they look like red-veined chard, and I have always found that they taste like dirt, but I don’t mind.

That “They’ll be red-fleshed and globe-shaped and fist-size and grubby and hairy, and I usually roast them” is excellent!

In her piece, Lepore mentions another great New Yorker “garden catalogues” review – Katherine S. White’s classic “A Romp in the Catalogues” (March 1, 1958), included in White’s 1979 collection Onward and Upward in the Garden. It contains one of my all-time favourite New Yorker lines: “To me a ruffled petunia is occasionally a delight but a ruffled snapdragon is an abomination.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment