Introduction

What is The New Yorker? I know it’s a great magazine and that it’s a tremendous source of pleasure in my life. But what exactly is it? This blog’s premise is that The New Yorker is a work of art, as worthy of comment and analysis as, say, Keats’s “Ode on a Grecian Urn.” Each week I review one or more aspects of the magazine’s latest issue. I suppose it’s possible to describe and analyze an entire issue, but I prefer to keep my reviews brief, and so I usually focus on just one or two pieces, to explore in each the signature style of its author. A piece by Nick Paumgarten is not like a piece by Jill Lepore, and neither is like a piece by Ian Frazier. One could not mistake Collins for Seabrook, or Bilger for Goldfield, or Mogelson for Kolbert. Each has found a style, and it is that style that I respond to as I read, and want to understand and describe.

Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Hal Foster on T. J. Clark

It’s been a while since I last fell in love with a writer’s style. I think I’d have to go back to 1998, when I first encountered Peter Schjeldahl’s art writing in The New Yorker. Now I find myself crazy about the style of another art writer – T. J. Clark. Why Clark? What is it about his work that draws me to it? Reading Hal Foster’s recent review of Clark’s latest book, If These Apples Should Fall, helps me answer that question, at least tentatively. 

Foster’s piece, titled “Not Window, Not Wall,” appears in the December 1, 2022 London Review of Books. In it, Foster says, “The book’s primary emphasis is on perception – Cézanne’s, Clark’s and our own – and its distinct translations into paint and prose….” Yes, I think that’s one element for sure. Another is Clark’s “resistance to resolution.” Foster writes, 

Resistance to resolution is what he values most in Cézanne, and in this respect his prose is true to the painting, even mimetic of it. As Cézanne confronts his motif again and again, so Clark confronts Cézanne. 

Foster gets at a third ingredient of Clark’s style when he says that Clark’s attention becomes “almost obsessive.” I think Foster’s most apt description of Clark’s form – the one that speaks to me – is “diaristic.” He says If These Apples Should Fall “returns to The Sight of Death in style, since the new book is also sometimes diaristic….” Right there, I think, Foster nails it. Reading Clark is like reading a great diary, in which we’re privy to the writer's thought processes as they evolve. As Foster says, “Clark invites us in on his reflexive meditations.” 

My favourite passage in Foster’s piece is this one:

Like a passionate friend tugging at one’s sleeve in a museum, he constantly enjoins us to see, to compare, to reconsider, and the intensity of this viewing-and-reviewing can be a bit wearing. 

All true, except the last part – I’ve never found Clark to be wearing. For me, it’s quite the opposite; I find his writing exhilarating.

Postscript: One of these days, I'll post my review of Clark's If These Apples Should Fall. It's one of the best books I've ever read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment