Introduction

What is The New Yorker? I know it’s a great magazine and that it’s a tremendous source of pleasure in my life. But what exactly is it? This blog’s premise is that The New Yorker is a work of art, as worthy of comment and analysis as, say, Keats’s “Ode on a Grecian Urn.” Each week I review one or more aspects of the magazine’s latest issue. I suppose it’s possible to describe and analyze an entire issue, but I prefer to keep my reviews brief, and so I usually focus on just one or two pieces, to explore in each the signature style of its author. A piece by Nick Paumgarten is not like a piece by Jill Lepore, and neither is like a piece by Ian Frazier. One could not mistake Collins for Seabrook, or Bilger for Goldfield, or Mogelson for Kolbert. Each has found a style, and it is that style that I respond to as I read, and want to understand and describe.

Saturday, March 16, 2019

March 11, 2019 Issue




















Notes on this week’s issue: 

 1. I enjoyed Helen Rosner’s “A Season for Everything,” particularly this sentence: “Nakayama chatted with one of her seafood suppliers, who had dropped by to deliver four burly kegani, or horsehair crabs, their strawberry-colored shells covered in spiky whiskers.” 

2. James Marcus’s moving “Blood Relations,” an essay on the death of his father, contains this memorable definition of “palliative care”: 

The word comes from the Latin pallium, which is a cloak. It means that the patient will be enveloped, protected, wrapped in a mantle of painkilling techniques that are often pharmaceutical but may also consist of old-fashioned human tenderness. It’s what we should want for the people we love. But it also signals that the fight is over. It is a white flag, a coming to terms with extinction. 

 3. Another excellent piece, David Remnick’s “Holding the Note,” profiles bluesman Buddy Guy. Remnick’s mention of Alberta Hunter reminded me of Whitney Balliett’s superb “Let it Be Classy” (The New Yorker, October 31, 1977; included in Balliett’s great 1979 collection American Singers), in which he describes Hunter singing her classic “Downhearted Blues”: 

Jimmy Rowles played a four-bar introduction, and Alberta Hunter began the famous lyrics: “Got the world in a jug, stopper right here in my hand. Got the world in a jug, stopper right here in my hand. The next man I get, he’s got to come under my command.” Her voice was steady and rich, and her vibrato betrayed none of the quaveriness that often besets older singers. Her phrasing was legato, and once in a while she used a high, almost falsetto cluster of notes which recalled Ethel Waters. There is a burnished, accreted assurance and depth and color on Alberta Hunter’s singing. At first, she stood nearly motionless. She moved one knee on the beat, and occasionally she raised her right arm and smoothed the air with her hand. 

 4. In his absorbing “Modernism for All,” a review of MoMA’s “Joan Miró: Birth of the World,” Peter Schjeldahl says of Miró’s “Painting,” “It stirs a personal memory.” Schjeldahl’s piece stirred a personal memory for me, too. When I was fifteen, my family and I lived in Saint John, New Brunswick. I recall bringing home a library book on Miró’s work. My father, who’d never shown any interest in art, leafed through it and took a fancy to a painting of a strange constellation of eyeballs, stars, and horned creatures. He liked it so much, he decided to make an imitation of it. He bought a big sheet of plywood, covered it with canvas, painted it tan, plotted all the shapes on it in pencil, glued twine on the sinuous lines and painted it black, then painted all the shapes, following Miró’s colors – red, white, blue, black, even a dab of yellow. I helped him with it. When it was finished, we hung it in the living room of our Fort Howe apartment. That was a long time ago. We moved several times after that. Our homemade Miró disappeared. I’m embarrassed to say I don’t know the name of the original. Google provides the painting, but not its title:

No comments:

Post a Comment