Introduction

What is The New Yorker? I know it’s a great magazine and that it’s a tremendous source of pleasure in my life. But what exactly is it? This blog’s premise is that The New Yorker is a work of art, as worthy of comment and analysis as, say, Keats’s “Ode on a Grecian Urn.” Each week I review one or more aspects of the magazine’s latest issue. I suppose it’s possible to describe and analyze an entire issue, but I prefer to keep my reviews brief, and so I usually focus on just one or two pieces, to explore in each the signature style of its author. A piece by Nick Paumgarten is not like a piece by Jill Lepore, and neither is like a piece by Ian Frazier. One could not mistake Collins for Seabrook, or Bilger for Goldfield, or Mogelson for Kolbert. Each has found a style, and it is that style that I respond to as I read, and want to understand and describe.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

October 31, 2011 Issue


The New Yorker is a great traveling companion. I took the October 31st issue with me to Cuba. It was a constant source of pleasure during my two-week visit there. There are so many delectable items in it: Lizzie Widdicombe’s description of The Leopard At Des Artistes’ zabaione with berries (“egg yolks and Marsala wine, beaten tableside over an open flame, until it reaches the consistency of a sugary alcoholic cloud”); Richard Brody’s representation of Michelangelo Antonioni’s “architectural precision” (“he presses his lovers into hard-edged industrial, corporate, and domestic spaces by way of graphically etched, high-contrast camera work that emphasizes the coldly thrilling modernism of tall buildings, progressive urbanism, and avant-garde design”); the poetry of the vegetable names in Burkhard Bilger’s excellent “True Grits” (“He set aside a bag of Whippoorwill peas and another of Zipper cream peas – the ones speckled brown and black, the others bright pink, like magic seeds from ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’”); Dan Chiasson’s analysis of Tomas Tranströmer’s style (“Tranströmer seeks not the ‘deep image’ but the elusive surface of things”); James Wood’s assessment of Ben Lerner’s novel Leaving Atocha Station (“Lerner is attempting to capture something that most conventional novels, with their cumbersome caravans of plot and scene and ‘conflict,’ fail to do: the drift of thought, the unmomentous passage of undramatic life”); Peter Schjeldahl’s close look at an African wooden sculpture (“The figure is all palpably moving parts: mouth open, eyes raised, knees bent, weight shifted to the right leg, and breasts swaying. She wields a rattle. A pattern of bold striations repeats in the coiled hair, a necklace, and anklets”). I loved all these things. Most of all I loved Emily Eakin’s “Celluloid Hero.” I’m a sucker for descriptions of the creative process. “Celluloid Hero” contains a beauty – a description of how Tacita Dean made “FILM” for exhibition at Tate Modern’s Turbine Hall. In a beautifully crafted, intensely engaging narrative, Eakin reports the various technical obstacles Dean encountered (e.g., the difficulty involved in fashioning “masks” thin enough to convincingly create the illusion of a filmstrip with sprocket holes) and the ways they were solved (e.g., using a digital laser device to produce a 3-D plastic mask that was less than a millimetre thick). Along the way, Eakin provides gorgeous descriptions of Dean’s art. Here is one of my favorites: “Her carefully layered shots had a sculptural quality; the glass-matte ostrich egg, appearing more than twenty feet tall, protruded from the screen as if it had been hurled right through it.” Eakin is new to me. As far as I know, “Celluloid Hero” is her first New Yorker piece. I look forward to many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment