Introduction

What is The New Yorker? I know it’s a great magazine and that it’s a tremendous source of pleasure in my life. But what exactly is it? This blog’s premise is that The New Yorker is a work of art, as worthy of comment and analysis as, say, Keats’s “Ode on a Grecian Urn.” Each week I review one or more aspects of the magazine’s latest issue. I suppose it’s possible to describe and analyze an entire issue, but I prefer to keep my reviews brief, and so I usually focus on just one or two pieces, to explore in each the signature style of its author. A piece by Nick Paumgarten is not like a piece by Jill Lepore, and neither is like a piece by Ian Frazier. One could not mistake Collins for Seabrook, or Bilger for Goldfield, or Mogelson for Kolbert. Each has found a style, and it is that style that I respond to as I read, and want to understand and describe.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

January 31, 2011 Issue


It’s been three days since I first read Alice Munro’s short story “Axis” in this week’s issue of the magazine, and I find myself still pondering its meaning. The story is not straightforward. There are shifting time-frames and points-of-view. I think I understand everything up to the second last section, which is about the Frontenac Axis. Munro writes:

When the train starts up again, he explains that all around them are great slabs of limestone packed in order, one on top of the other, like a grand construction. But in one spot this gives way, he says, and you can see something else. It’s what is known as the Frontenac Axis. It is nothing less than an eruption of the vast and crazy old Canadian Shield, all the ancient combustion cutting through the limestone, pouring over, messing up those giant steps.

The story takes its name from this geological formation. I assume, therefore, that Munro intends the Frontenac Axis to symbolize something. That “something” is, I think, the unconscious. The “great slabs of limestone packed in order” are the repressive, rigid layers of the conscious mind. The “eruption of the vast and crazy old Canadian Shield” is the welling up of wild, messy, not-to-be denied passion from the unconscious. Munro has expressed this geological concept of the unconscious before. For example, in her story "Fits" (included in her 1986 collection The Progress of Love), a character says, "People can take a fit like the earth takes a fit." Normally, I resist reading stories as allegories. I prefer to analyze the form and leave the “meaning” alone. But in the case of “Axis,” I don’t think we are reading too much between the lines if we interpret the Frontenac Axis symbolically. In fact, I think the meaning of “Axis” depends on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment