Introduction

What is The New Yorker? I know it’s a great magazine and that it’s a tremendous source of pleasure in my life. But what exactly is it? This blog’s premise is that The New Yorker is a work of art, as worthy of comment and analysis as, say, Keats’s “Ode on a Grecian Urn.” Each week I review one or more aspects of the magazine’s latest issue. I suppose it’s possible to describe and analyze an entire issue, but I prefer to keep my reviews brief, and so I usually focus on just one or two pieces, to explore in each the signature style of its author. A piece by Nick Paumgarten is not like a piece by Jill Lepore, and neither is like a piece by Ian Frazier. One could not mistake Collins for Seabrook, or Bilger for Goldfield, or Mogelson for Kolbert. Each has found a style, and it is that style that I respond to as I read, and want to understand and describe.

Saturday, January 13, 2024

Factual Writing Is Just As Immersive As Fiction (Contra Nathaniel Rich)

Nathaniel Rich, in his recent review of James A. W. Heffernan’s Politics and Literature at the Dawn of WW II, argues that, as a reading experience, factual writing is less immersive than fiction. He says, 

There is one dark art, however, that nonfiction cannot fully replicate: the ability of immersive narrative literature, and especially fiction, to blur, or even eradicate, the boundary between reader and subject. Readers of a history are reminded on every page, with every footnote and dutiful scholarly reference and contextual aside, of one’s distance from the action. The reader even of a memoir or a diary can never fully suspend disbelief, since the dramatic stakes of the narrative rely on its authenticity—on the assertion that the events described really happened and that the people depicted really experienced them.

Novelists don’t tend to bother about that. A novel’s success depends not on its faithfulness to reality but on the author’s ability to beguile the reader into empathizing with its hero and, for a brief time, exchanging the reality of the world for the reality of the novel. (“Writing Under Fire,” The New York Review of Books, December 21, 2023)

I strongly disagree. I’m currently reading Jonathan Raban’s Old Glory (1981), an account of his two-thousand-mile journey down the Mississippi River, piloting a sixteen-foot aluminum motorboat, and I couldn’t be more immersed. I’m right there with him as he tries to navigate sloughs, chutes, towboats, stumps, eddies, boils, locks, and wing dams. It’s one of the most immersive books I’ve ever read. Same goes for his Passage to Juneau (1999) and Ian Frazier’s Travels in Siberia (2010) and Edward Hoagland’s Notes from the Century Before (1969). There’s no boundary between me and the worlds described in them. I’m there. These events really happened. No suspension of disbelief is necessary. Just sink in and experience them – that's the promise these great books gloriously fulfill. Rich underestimates the power of factual writing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment