Introduction

What is The New Yorker? I know it’s a great magazine and that it’s a tremendous source of pleasure in my life. But what exactly is it? This blog’s premise is that The New Yorker is a work of art, as worthy of comment and analysis as, say, Keats’s “Ode on a Grecian Urn.” Each week I review one or more aspects of the magazine’s latest issue. I suppose it’s possible to describe and analyze an entire issue, but I prefer to keep my reviews brief, and so I usually focus on just one or two pieces, to explore in each the signature style of its author. A piece by Nick Paumgarten is not like a piece by Jill Lepore, and neither is like a piece by Ian Frazier. One could not mistake Collins for Seabrook, or Bilger for Goldfield, or Mogelson for Kolbert. Each has found a style, and it is that style that I respond to as I read, and want to understand and describe.

Sunday, September 26, 2021

September 20, 2021 Issue

I avidly read D. T. Max’s “Secrets and Lies,” a profile of the writer Colm Tóibín, in this week’s issue. Tóibín is one of my favourite writers. I say this even though I haven’t read even one of his eleven novels. It’s his criticism, essays, and travelogues that I love. Unfortunately, the focus of Max’s piece is on Tóibín’s new novel The Magician, a fictionalization of Thomas Mann’s life. But I did learn some interesting tidbits about Tóibín’s writing process. For example: “He took me into his study. He writes first drafts in longhand, in bound notebooks, filling the right-facing pages with his squat, forward-leaning script.” And: “Once Tóibín has figured out what he calls ‘the rhythm’ of a novel, he told me, he doesn’t do much rewriting. A book’s style, he said, ‘has to seem unforced and natural.’ ” Tóibín says something similar in his wonderful On Elizabeth Bishop (2015): “Novels and stories only come for me when an idea, a memory, or an image move into rhythm.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment