Introduction

What is The New Yorker? I know it’s a great magazine and that it’s a tremendous source of pleasure in my life. But what exactly is it? This blog’s premise is that The New Yorker is a work of art, as worthy of comment and analysis as, say, Keats’s “Ode on a Grecian Urn.” Each week I review one or more aspects of the magazine’s latest issue. I suppose it’s possible to describe and analyze an entire issue, but I prefer to keep my reviews brief, and so I usually focus on just one or two pieces, to explore in each the signature style of its author. A piece by Nick Paumgarten is not like a piece by Jill Lepore, and neither is like a piece by Ian Frazier. One could not mistake Collins for Seabrook, or Bilger for Goldfield, or Mogelson for Kolbert. Each has found a style, and it is that style that I respond to as I read, and want to understand and describe.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Top Ten Exhibition Reviews: #7 Peter Campbell's "At Tate Modern"


Mark Rothko, Red on Maroon (1959), section four of the Seagram mural























Sometimes a single line impinges my consciousness, imprinting itself in my memory. Example: “It is as if the picture was a radiator the heat of which drives you back.” I read that and became an instant Peter Campbell fan. It’s from his wonderful “At Tate Modern” (London Review of Books, October 23, 2008; included in his 2009 collection At…), a review of Tate Modern’s Rothko: The Late Series. The picture referred to is unidentified. Campbell described it as a “single canvas” filling most of one of the long walls. Is it Rothko’s rich “Red on Maroon” (1959)? Even a digital reproduction of that beauty radiates heat. Actually, Campbell’s evocative description could apply to almost any of Rothko’s deep red-on-maroon or red-on-red-on-red or black-on-purple-on-black murals, in which, as Campbell noted, “glazes, underpainting, overpainting, and the contrast between matt and gloss surfaces all have a part to play.”

No comments:

Post a Comment