Introduction

What is The New Yorker? I know it’s a great magazine and that it’s a tremendous source of pleasure in my life. But what exactly is it? This blog’s premise is that The New Yorker is a work of art, as worthy of comment and analysis as, say, Keats’s “Ode on a Grecian Urn.” Each week I review one or more aspects of the magazine’s latest issue. I suppose it’s possible to describe and analyze an entire issue, but I prefer to keep my reviews brief, and so I usually focus on just one or two pieces, to explore in each the signature style of its author. A piece by Nick Paumgarten is not like a piece by Jill Lepore, and neither is like a piece by Ian Frazier. One could not mistake Collins for Seabrook, or Bilger for Goldfield, or Mogelson for Kolbert. Each has found a style, and it is that style that I respond to as I read, and want to understand and describe.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

August 2, 2010 Issue


In “The Scales Fall” in this week’s issue, Elizabeth Kolbert advances an argument in the guise of a book review. She runs through a pile of books about our overfished oceans, picking corroborative quotations wherever she finds them for her basic contention that we have harvested wild fish “to the edge of extinction,” yet we do not have the will to stop and do something about it. It’s a damn good argument, and her Exhibit A – the Atlantic bluefin tuna – powerfully illustrates her case. My complaint doesn't have anything to do with her argument; I find her point completely irrefutable. My complaint, such as it is, is with respect to the weakness of her piece as a book review. It’s in the “Books” section of the magazine, and so it should be first and foremost about books. It seems to me that in “The Scales Fall,” Kolbert has too many books under consideration for such a brief review to be able to do justice to any one of them. At least five books are mentioned in her piece. There isn’t an extended quote from any of them. One of the books – Paul Greenberg’s recently published “Four Fish” – I know something about. I read Sam Sifton’s excellent review of it in The New York Times Sunday Book Review (July 29, 2010). Among other things, Sifton says, “Combining on-the-ground and on-the-ocean reporting from the Yukon to Greece, from the waters of Long Island Sound to the Mekong Delta, along with accounts of some stirring fishing trips, Greenberg makes a powerful argument: We must, moving forward, manage our oceans so that the fish we eat can exist both in aquacultural settings and within the ecosystems of wild oceans.” This sounds like the kind of book I like, particularly with regard to the “accounts of some stirring fishing trips.” You’d never know “Four Fish” had this kind of content from the couple of references Kolbert makes to it. I suppose Kolbert would reply that I’m part of the problem if all I want to do is read about fishing stories, because the whole point of her piece is that the time may not be too far off when there will be no fish to fish. Nevertheless, “Four Fish” is a book I intend to acquire and read sometime soon. If Kolbert’s review was the only one I had to go by, I probably would’ve missed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment